Sunday, May 17, 2009

D is for DAD


My dad has always been very special to me. Some of my earliest recollections include being with him. From an early age I loved to sit on his lap. I can remember getting up each morning and while the others got ready for school I would sit on Dad's lap. At night I would also return to Dad's lap as we watched TV.
I loved to watch football games, feed the cows, and I even attempted to play chess with my Dad. Dad was always very patient and rarely ever got upset. The only memory I have of Dad ever getting mad at me was when I got upset with my older brothers and sister. They had made a cake and I wanted to lick the spoon or beaters or bowl - anything. They all claimed a prize and I didn't get anything. I threw a little fit and Dad spatted my behind and sent me to my room. I felt things were so unfair. Now that I have experienced children of my own, I understand how he felt.
My first experiences of driving were behind the wheel of the pickup while Dad threw hay bales from the back. I couldn't reach the gas peddle, but Dad would put the pickup in 1st gear and off we'd go. It was always an interesting ride as I tried to dodge the hard cow pies, but Dad didn't complain. I felt so important. I would often wake up early, get dressed, and hope that he would take me with him.
Dad's love of the farm rubbed off on me, and I enjoyed spending time there. I liked to ride with him on the tractor or combine. Usually I would fall asleep sitting on the toolbox. Later I started helping on the farm. With David and Paul off to college and missions, the good help was hard to come by. Dad taught me to drive the tractor and I would do the weeding (the rows didn't have to be perfectly straight for weeding). I would spend the day going back and forth trying to follow my tire lines.
Dad has always been very understanding and loving even in the most trying circumstances. When I was about sixteen, Dad bought a brand new pickup. Mom and him had gone for the evening and my friend and I wanted to go and get a ice cream. Instead of driving my car I took the NEW pickup. I wasn't used to driving a big outfit and as I turned the corner into the drive-thru I hit a post on the passenger side bending the mirror and scraping the side of the new pickup. I felt so sick inside and was worried about what my parents would say. It was a long, anxious wait for them to come home and then through tears I retold the story. Dad was very calm and simply said I can see that you learned your lesson. I learned more than one lesson that night. People were always more important to him than things.
Dad continues to be a favorite person in my life. He always has a smile and a hug whenever I see him. He has been a great role model to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment