Tuesday, May 5, 2009


C is for Crocheting


People tend to learn to do things they observe others doing. As a young girl, I watched my mother and Grandma Rapp always keeping their hands busy. When they were watching TV they had a crochet hook in their hands as they lovingly created handmade items from yarn and thread. Brightly crocheted afagans, lacey doilies, and other handiwork decorated our home. I loved to sit with them and learn to make pretty things, and I treasure the gifts they created for me.

I don't remember when I started to experiment with a chain stitch, but by the time I was 11 or 12 I was making many projects. I can even remember creating crocheted clothes for my dolls. By the time I was 18, I had made afagans for all of my siblings and a few others as well. Crocheting is still a way to wind down at the end of a long day. It helps me relax while still doing something worthwhile. Although some crocheted items aren't as popular now, I hope that my children will enjoy the love that is included in each stitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment